Trinity Lutheran Church Through The Years
In the early 1950s the Kansas District employed a "Preaching-Teaching-Reaching"
campaign that ultimately lent itself very well to ideas of expansion in the
Leavenworth, Kansas area. South of town appeared to be a fertile area for growth
and discussion arose on the prospects of opening a new mission.
Pastor Leo Fenske of St. Paul Lutheran in Leavenworth related that there was already a good
feeling from the Mother Church towards opening a new mission. Thirty-four people
attended a pre-organizational meeting to show their interest.
The first church, which still stands today at 5th and Michigan, was nothing more than a small
grocery store that was for sale. The asking price was $5000. A property
acquisition committee saw an opportunity for a place to hold worship services
and they acted quickly. Fifteen members of the new mission loaned $100 each at
zero interest, along with $500 from another member and a $3000 bank loan, and
Trinity Lutheran was open for business.
On September 25, 1955, the first worship service was held with 89 people in attendance. A petition for membership
transfer was circulated and 112 communicants committed along with four transfers
from other Lutheran churches.
From the beginning though it was understood that a property would be needed where a real church could be erected, and by 1956 the
land at 10th Avenue and Thornton was purchased.
The adopted budget in 1956 was $18,100 with a $2,000 subsidy from District. By 1960 the budget was classified
as big -- $29,500.
After initial construction of the church, Trinity saw two
more building phases over the years. A preschool was begun in the 60s and today
a fully accredited preschool and pre-kindergarten serves the church and community.
Outreach has also led the church to open a food and clothing bank called Trinity
House, as well as act act as a nutrition site for the Council on Aging.
Almost 50 years after beginning God continued to grow his church with the establishment
of a second campus in Basehor, Kansas. where a core group of about 25 members
agreed to start a new mission. Some committed to one year while others moved
permanently. The group leased space for a year in an elementary school and two
years later land was purchased with the vision of building a church and child
care center. Today both are in operation.
The Lord continues to richly bless both campuses of Trinity.